Xavier University, then St. Xavier College, first established a football team in the late 19th century. In 1921, Corcoran Field, a $40,000 football stadium, was dedicated to support the increasingly popular intercollegiate football team. Coach Joseph A. Meyer (tenure 1920-1935) played a notable role in the team's success. Starting in 1935, the football team experienced somewhat of a decline which was further exacerbated by World War II and the regulations which limited participation in intercollegiate athletics. From 1943-1946, there were no intercollegiate athletics including football due to difficulties related World War II. However, football returned to Xavier in 1946, and was thriving by 1949. In 1950, Xavier's football team won the Salad Bowl against Arizona State. However, by 1961, the Board of Trustees was already starting to question the expense associated with the football team. By 1971, the Board of Trustees noted significant financial losses associated with the football team and a decline in support for the football team. After the 1973 football season, it was determined that the football team should be discontinued because it was no longer financially viable. Several attempts were made in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s to revisit this issue and revive a football team at Xavier but with no success. Corcoran Stadium was demolished in 1988.
This collection of football photographs is a selecction from the Xavier University Photograph Collection.